Are you currently enjoying the vast array of benefits which TouchRight Software brings to property inspections?
If so, did you know that the nifty little features built into iOS and Android work perfectly with TouchRight to speed up your property reporting processes even further. The features allow you to complete reports without even typing a word!
1. Instant dictation
Instant dictation is available on both iOS and Android devices. You can take advantage of this feature while you are on-site at a property, as long as you have a 3/4G connection. If you can see the microphone on your keyboard, go ahead and start dictating! Detailed instructions for using dictation on specific devices/operating systems are detailed below.
Simply open the TouchRight app, start a report and bring up the keyboard where you’d like to add information and text. Then tap the microphone icon at the bottom-left corner of your keyboard.
Begin speaking and Android will insert the words as you speak them.
It won’t automatically insert punctuation for you, but you can ‘speak’ the punctuation mark you want to use. For example, if you’d like to type: “White painted. In good condition.”
You would speak the words “White painted period new line in good condition period”.
The most useful voice dictation commands that work on Android are:
- Punctuation: Period (.) comma (,) question mark (?)
- Line spacing: Enter or new line, new paragraph
iPhone and iPad devices
Open the TouchRight app, start a report and bring up the keyboard where you’d like to add information and text. Then tap the microphone icon to the left of the space bar.
You’ll see a Siri prompt and you can start speaking immediately. Words won’t appear as you speak; instead, you’ll need to speak your message and then tap ‘Done’. The words will then appear in the text field.
Siri won’t automatically insert punctuation marks, but there is a host of additional punctuation that you can add with iOS that might be useful in your reports, including:
- Punctuation: Apostrophe (‘) colon (:) dash (-)
- Typography: Ampersand (&)
- Currency: Pound sterling sign (£)
- Math: Equals sign (=) plus sign (+)
- Line spacing: new line, new paragraph, tab key
iOS also gives you much more control over formatting:
- You can say numeral or roman numeral and speak a number. For example, if you say “nine,” it will appear as 9 or IX
- Say ‘all caps’ and say a word — the next word you speak will appear in ALL CAPS
2. Using dictation offline
The iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and all Samsung phones/tablets allow you to undertake dictation even when you’re offline! Although, it’s not automatically enabled, so make sure you have it set up whilst you are online. Detailed instructions regarding how to do this are detailed below.
iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
First, ensure dictation is turned on. Go to: Settings>General>Keyboard>Enable Dictation.
If you own a supported device that is set to the right language, you will be able to download the offline dictation files from here. It will take a couple of minutes and use up some space on your device, but it will be worth it for the extra functionality it provides for those lengthy reports!
Once enabled, you can dictate in most text entry fields by tapping the microphone and speaking.
Samsung phones and tablets
- Go to “Settings” > “Language and input”
- Click on “Google Voice Typing”
- Enable the “Offline Speech recognition” and check if your preferred language is installed. If not, download it.
3. Time-saving shortcut: create your own common words and phrases
If you’re creating lots of property reports, you’ll probably be using the same common words and phrases throughout. If you and your staff are tired of repeatedly typing ‘in good clean condition’ or ‘requires maintenance’, then there’s good news! Both iOS and Android devices will let you create your own custom keyboard shortcuts for…well, just about anything. Once you’ve tweaked the right settings, you can type (for example) “white gloss painted” in your TouchRight report by simply tapping, say, “wgp”, saving lots of time.
This feature also provides uniformity to the reporting process by enabling you and your staff to be consistent in the words and phrases used throughout, regardless of who visits the property and compiles the report.
Here’s how to get started…
- Tap Settings, Language & Input, “Personal dictionary,” then pick a language or choose the “For all languages” option (Note: the exact settings may differ depending on the make and model of your Android phone).
- Tap the “+” sign in the top-right corner of the screen, then enter the word or phrase (eg. “left hand wall”) you’d like to make a shortcut for.
- Next, type a brief, easy-to-remember shortcut into the “Shortcut” field; for example, “lhw” for “left hand wall.”
- Tap the Back key, and you’ll see an entry for the shortcut you just added. Want to add more shortcuts? Tap the “+” sign again.
- Tap Settings, General, Keyboard, Text Replacement, then tap the “+” button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- In the blank next to “Phrase,” type in (for example) “right hand wall”. Then, in the Shortcut section, tap in the letters “rhw”.
- Tap the “Save” button. All done!
- If you now go to your TouchRight report, open up a text field and type “rhw”. The new “right hand wall” shortcut will appear in the suggestions along the top of the keypad. Simply press the spacebar to accept.
We hope that the highlighted features and instructions help you to produce professional, high-quality reports quickly and with ease. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you require any additional support.